Islands of Adventure

Today was the day I think all of us have been looking forward to...visiting the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal's Islands of Adventure. We did everything we wanted to do, but man did it take a long time! First of all, the park itself was a LONG way from the parking. A LONG way. And not a tram available, either. I would recommend to anyone coming to visit that they arrive at the parking deck at least a half an hour before they wanted to be at the park's gate. You walk and walk and then walk through CityWalk and then get to the gates. Which were packed. I knew then it was going to be a long day.
We started our long trek to the back of the park to the Wizarding World. Upon arriving there, we were hearing that the Wizarding World was full and that we would have to get a time to return. However, when we got around to the gate, they let us in. We headed back to Hogwarts to ride the main ride, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. After a very long time in line there (I would say 90 minutes), we got on the the most terrifying ride I've ever been on. I shut my eyes during the last half of the ride. I could not believe how scary it was. Steve's the only one who watched the whole ride unfurl.
The worst part to me was that part of this experience was a tour of Hogwarts as the line wound through it. But, the line moved so fast by the time we got inside to where things were that we didn't get to enjoy it really. And, we had to lock up all of our stuff at the beginning of the line because they were so serious about not having ANY loose items. So, I had no camera to capture any of it...although it was so dark it wouldn't have mattered much. I would have slowed down and enjoyed it more had I know how much I was going to dislike the ride itself. (Which was really neat in concept, but it was over-the-top scary.)
We then decided to stand in line for Olivander's to get a wand. We chose the line that would allow us to go into the store with 15 other people of which one would get to go through a wand selection. It was cute and Lizzie thought it was worth the wait. While we waited, I got in...yes...another line for Butterbeer. I got one cold and one frozen for the low low price of $9.50. (They are printing freaking money at this place. The Butterbeer in a souvenir mug is $10.50.)


After the wand selection, we then poured into the very crowded Olivander's to select our own wands. I can't believe how packed that place was. But, the kids selected wands (Lizzie went with one chosen based on some Celtic calendar using her birthday and Maury went with the biggest wand they had) and Steve and I picked a character wand (Sirius Black's) and called it another $90 spent. (Printing money, remember.)
Then, it was time to stand...yes...in line for The Three Broomsticks for lunch. The food was very good and we got to sit and enjoy our meal in the neat setting after going through a buffeteria (their word) line to order and get our food.
We decided we were done with the Wizarding World (we had visited Honeyduke's candy shop somewhere in there...and yes, there was a line for that, too) so I hopped in a very short line for the Dragon Challenge roller coaster (great!) while Steve took the kids to Seuss Landing. We didn't stay there or at Islands of Adventure much longer.
I know this post sounds like we didn't have a good time...we did, but it was frustrating to be in a place with so many other people trying to enjoy a very well put together Harry Potter experience. It was overwhelming.
We did find a Friendly's on the way back to the resort and got some amazing ice cream treats. I thnk this is what I love most about vacation, honestly. Ice cream everyday. Love ice cream. Refuse to keep it in the house.


Labels: universal